Blaine, Minn. (November 27, 2018) — Explore Minnesota, the state's tourism promotion office, announced 2017 attendance figures earlier in November for major attractions and events statewide. The National Sports Center (NSC) in Blaine landed in the #4 position, and came out as the top ranked sports destination in Minnesota.
In the most recent year, the NSC hosted 4.1 million visitors. The NSC also reported that it generated a visitor economic impact of $83 million for the most recent year.
Here is a summary of the top ten most visited attractions in Minnesota:
1. Mall of America, Bloomington (40 million visitors)
2. Chain of Lakes Regional Park, Minneapolis (7.1 million)
3. Como Park, St. Paul (5.4 million)
4. National Sports Center, Blaine (4.1 million)
5. Central Mississippi Riverfront Regional Park, Minneapolis (2.8 million)
6. Mississippi Gorge Regional Park, Minneapolis/St. Paul (2.7 million)
7. Lake Superior Maritime Visitor Center & Park, Duluth (2.5 million)
8. Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul (2.2 million)
9. Target Field, Minneapolis (2.1 million)
10. Minnehaha Park, Minneapolis (2.0 million)
It was the second time the NSC has landed on Explore Minnesota’s most-visited list. The sports campus was previously listed in second place, but for the newest list Explore Minnesota added in several parks that were not previously ranked, such as the Minneapolis Chain of Lakes.
"These attendance figures are impressive. They contribute to Minnesota's $15.0 billion tourism economy in a big way, and support jobs all over the state," said John Edman, director of Explore Minnesota. "Minnesota offers an endless array of things to see and do, and this list goes to show that people are exploring our state's great indoor and outdoor attractions."