Often compared to American football, Rugby is a far more international game, and is currently played in over 100 countries of the world. In a few of those countries it is the national sport -- some say religion. The sport is growing in the U.S., especially among junior players, and is played by many Minnesota high schools as a club sport.
The sport is governed in the U.S. by USA Rugby, and worldwide by the International Rugby Board. The Rugby World Cup, held every four years, is one of the most-watched international sports events.
For more information
Rugby at the NSC
The National Sports Center has an illustrious history of hosting major rugby events. Here is a sample of the biggest events held on the NSC fields.
- 2018 MN State High School Rugby Championships
- 2017 USA Rugby Club Sevens National Championships
- 2014 MN State High School Rugby Championships
- 2013 MN State High School Rugby Championships
- 2013 USA Rugby Men's Junior All-Americans v. Canada
- 2012 MN State High School Rugby Championships
- 2011 USA Rugby Division I Men's and Women's Regionals
- 2010 Bingham Cup
- 2010 Women's National All-Star Championships
- 2008 MARF Boys and Girls State Championships
- 2007 U23 and All-Star Women’s Championships
- 2007 USA and Canada National Team Training Camp
- 2002-2005 Minnesota Rugby Football Union college championships
- 2003- 2005 USA Rugby U23 Women's National Championships
- 2002-2004 USA Women's National Team Training Camp
- 2004 USA vs. Canadian Women's National Team Test Match
- 2003 Boys' and Girls' Regional High School Championship
- 2002-2005 MARF (Minnesota Amateur Rugby Football) boys' and girls' state championships